Monday, October 20, 2014

Cross Country

Brigham ran cross country this year!
I think he loved it.  I know I loved watching him.  He improved so much over the season, going from high 8 minute miles to low 7 minute miles.  He ran in the heat, he ran in the cold, in the sun, in the rain, and everything in between.
I loved the crowds and excitement of the meets.  He got nervous, but didn't let it defeat him.  He's always been good under pressure.
The Royals is an Austin area homeschool sports organization that competes mainly with private schools in the area.  This year most of the cross country meets were large invitationals with public and private schools, and lots and lots of runners.  Cross country kids are the best.  Everyone was polite, there were no crazy sideline parents, and as far as I could tell, every runner was a good sportsman.
I loved some of the long drives taking Brigham to and from meets.  The farthest was down in Shiner, Texas (yes, home of the brewery), almost 2 hours away.  It's a beautiful drive and Brigham and I were able to talk and listen to audiobooks (and listen to conference on the way back).
Here are some pictures from the season.
 Look at Brigham racing that bigger boy!  Both feet off the ground!

 And he's passing him!

After running a meet in the rain!  He was one of the earlier races-- I'm sure by the end the trail was a muddy mess.


This picture was taken as he is running almost to the top of a very long, very steep hill.  He looks strong! My cross country coach would have told him to lower his arms.  :-)  Something to work on next season.


No comments: