Thursday, December 29, 2005

I'm thinking of converting my daily (or at least almost daily) emails into a blog. It will be easier to add photos correlating with the text and will also free up some space in a lot of people's email boxes! Anyway, I figure I will try it for a while and see how it goes.
I have a lot to catch up with re Christmas, etc., but I think I'll just take today for now. We have all been sick the past several days (me in particular), which accounts for how behind I am! But today I felt pretty good (I even went running last night, first time in a week) so hopefully I'm on the downhill-side of this thing.
I have to share a "story" Brigham told us over dinner. Here it is, as close to word-for-word as I can remember:
"Once upon a time there was a pool and there were people swimming in the pool. The people got drained and went into the sewer and they died. Then there was a dog that went into the sewer and ate a bone. It was a bone from one of the people."
Eek! What kind of child am I raising?? Sounds like some horror movie. Ben really likes to make up stories with them, and they are kind of catching on. And I suppose it is better for Brigham to express the dark side of his imagination rather than just keep it inside and wake him up in the middle of the night with nightmares.
Tonight after dinner we went to the rock climbing park to play for a while and try and wear the boys out so they would go to sleep. Ben was feeling pretty bad so he stayed home and went to be early (like 6:30!). The boys had the best time! We brought their big wheels (big Christmas hit) and they raced around like maniacs in the parking lot. They had a few races and Brigham and Joseph are still very evenly matched, both running and big-wheeling. Some of their races were pretty funny to watch, though, because one of them would shout, "Marks, get sets, go!" and both would start running in no particular direction, eventually ending up sort of following each other in a meandering race course around the parking lot. Mosey got in on the fun, too, running around and scooting around as fast as he could on his hand-me-down bike from one of the boys which is a bit too big for him yet. He can't reach the pedals and has to push himself along with his feet. I just love watching little kids run. Brigham still runs with this funny gait, one arm curled up by his chest and the other pumping like crazy.
I think I need to make an effort to do fun things like this every day. Even just 1/2 hour of concerted playing just with them, not with me also trying to do 3 or 4 other things at the same time. It would probably improve behavior, especially in one little snickerdoodle named Joseph.
Oh, a big brag about Joseph, though. He is getting to be an awesome speller! He can sound out simple 3-letter words pretty consistently, and tonight I told him about the silent "e" at the end of a word making the vowel say its long sound. He totally got it, too, and sounded out slide and site and ate and a few others. If I work with him every day I'm sure I could have him reading pretty quickly. I need to do that with him for sure.
Ok, that's it for tonight. I have to get out there and go for a run before I talk myself out of it.

No comments: